PressClub Africa, DOM, East Europe · Article.
The America’s Cup: 166 years of prestigious history and the most innovative racing yachts.
Mon May 29 14:11:22 CEST 2017 Press Release
Defender ORACLE TEAM USA is eyeing on the hat-trick.
send an e-mail
- Breaking new ground in Bermuda: “Flying” catamarans compete for the world’s oldest international sports and most prestigious sailing trophy.
- Technology Partner BMW has provided valuable engineering expertise in the field of aerodynamics and created an intuitive cockpit design for Defender ORACLE TEAM USA.
- BMW is Global Partner of the organiser, the “America’s Cup Event Authority” (ACEA).
- Racing postponed until today due to strong winds.
- Key Facts about the 35th America’s Cup.
Munich. The America’s Cup has long been an inspiration for the best sailors and visionary engineers, guiding their dreams for 166 years. Today, the competition for the most sought-after trophy in yachting will start again with the first Match Races of the 35th America’s Cup in the “Great Sound” of Bermuda. Defender ORACLE TEAM USA will open the regatta in a duel with Groupama Team France. Strong winds forced ACEA to postpone racing until Saturday. During construction of the yacht “17”, the winning team from 2010 and 2013 was supported by the automotive expertise of Technology Partner BMW in the area of aerodynamics. BMW Motorsport engineers developed a custom-built intuitive cockpit design for Skipper Jimmy Spithill.
The futuristic catamarans that will be sailing at the 35th America’s Cup are 15 metres in length, have a wingsail, and can reach speeds of up to 100 kmh “flying” on their foils. The six participating teams have spent many months working on the development of their high-tech yachts.
ORACLE TEAM USA skipper Jimmy Spithill said: “Our preparation for the 35th America’s Cup has been a long, intense journey. At ORACLE TEAM USA we are excited to be getting onto the start line at last and can’t wait to line up against the other teams with the America’s Cup on the line. Our thanks go to our Technology Partner BMW for their great support and engineering expertise as we designed, built and developed a boat capable of taking us to a third consecutive America’s Cup victory.”
ORACLE TEAM USA’s racing yacht “17” – BMW engineering expertise.
- Aerodynamics: Aerodynamic performance advantages are decisive nowadays thanks to “foiling”, whereby the yachts are able to fly over the surface of the water on the foils. The comprehensive experience and modern infrastructure resulting from BMW’s involvement in automobile construction were used to make the most of this potential.
- Steering Wheel: To allow the catamaran to fly continuously, the helmsman must adjust the angle of both foils and the rudder blades every second to suit the course, direction of the wind, speed and opposition. To do so, the helmsman requires a precise steering module similar to the steering wheel from a motorsport car. BMW Motorsport engineers have developed a steering wheel for ORACLE TEAM USA that allows intuitive use.
35th America’s Cup – The Competition (27th May -27th June).
- Louis Vuitton America's Cup Qualifiers: In the preliminary round, each team competes twice against every other team, including Defender ORACLE TEAM USA. One point is awarded for each win. The best four challengers qualify for the play-offs.
- Louis Vuitton America's Cup Challenger Playoffs: Competition now continues on a knockout basis. Each play-off duel consists of a maximum of nine races: The first yacht to record five wins progresses to the next round. Two semi-finals and the final are contested.
- America’s Cup Match presented by Louis Vuitton: Defender ORACLE TEAM USA meets the best challenger. If one of these two teams has collected the most points of any participant in the “Louis Vuitton America’s Cup Qualifiers”, one bonus point will be awarded for the Match. Each win once again is worth one point. The first team to reach seven points is the winner of the 35th America’s Cup.
- Wind Speed: The wind speed must be between 6 - 24 knots (11-45 km/h) to allow a race to take place at the 35th America’s Cup. If the wind speed does not fall within this window (measured between eight and three minutes before the race start time), the start must be postponed.America’s Cup – The Teams
35th America’s Cup – The Teams.
ORACLE TEAM USA (USA), skipper: Jimmy Spithill (AUS)
Artemis Racing (SWE), skipper: Nathan Outteridge (AUS)
Emirates Team New Zealand (NZL), skipper: Glen Ashby (NZL)
Groupama Team France (FRA), skipper: Franck Cammas (FRA)
Land Rover BAR (ENG), skipper: Sir Ben Ainslie (ENG)
Softbank Team Japan (JPN), skipper: Dean Barker (NZL)
35th America’s Cup Live.
- Live TV coverage of the races in the 35th America’s Cup:
- The races will also be broadcast on the America’s Cup app. The app
is available free of charge in the relevant stores for iOS and
Android, but there is a charge for the live feed (in-app purchase).
The organiser will also use social networks to provide sailing fans
with comprehensive written reports and pictures. Follow the action
on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: