PressClub Canada · Article.
MINI United celebrates the iconic carmaker’s 20th anniversary in Canada.
02.09.2022 Press Kit
The past, present and future bring the MINI community together in Kelowna, British Columbia.
send an e-mail
Richmond Hill, ON. Hundreds of members of the MINI community came together in Kelowna, British Columbia this past weekend to celebrate the brand and help mark its twentieth anniversary in Canada. More than 170 vehicles, over 300 people and two dozen canine family members joined in the festivities.
“It was great to be able to bring the MINI community together again. It’s been too long since we’ve been able to do so,” said Mat Sayer, Director, MINI Canada. “There were so many elements that made MINI United special. From hosting in western Canada for the first time to celebrating our 20th anniversary in this wonderful country, every bit of the event was truly spectacular. But the most special element was the MINI spirit in the air. MINI can bring people together like no other brand, and this event just proves how engaging it is. The feeling of camaraderie was absolutely palpable. There’s just nothing like being a MINI owner.”
MINI owners gathered at retailers in British Columbia and Alberta on Saturday to rally together to the kick-off party at Tantalus Vineyards in Kelowna, B.C. Charlie Cooper, grandson of John Cooper and member of the MINI royal family, flew from London, England to attend the celebration and talk to attendees about the legacy of the Cooper name, signing hats, shirts and even cars. Charlie also took customers for hot laps around the Area 27 race track in Oliver, B.C. on Sunday.
On the occasion of MINI’s 20th anniversary in Canada, customers were able to see the first MINI to arrive on Canadian soil, a 2002 MINI Cooper 3 door. Guests were also introduced to the all-new MINI Untamed Edition, announced for the Canadian market only days before the event. And a one-of-a-kind MINI was also onsite, the MINI Cooper SE Convertible, an all-electric version of the beloved drop-top MINI, which provided a sneak peek at what the future of MINI could hold.
MINI United Fun Facts:
- 173 MINI vehicles; 163 registered with names, 10 were rogue.
- 304 MINI fans, 329 if you include the furry friends.
- 5 participating provinces + 1 state – guests attended from Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Washington.
- 2 birthdays – one for a nine-year old (Saturday) and one for an 83-year old (Sunday).
- 4,448 kms – approximate distance travelled by Coco, a MINI Countryman, and her driver who came from Quebec City, making them the furthest travelled guests.
- 1 absentee MINI – Whip Cream, of an undisclosed model variant, was fairly well damaged when a tree fall on her so she was unable to attend. Her owner did, though…
- 1 notably well-dressed group – Thisismyminiadventure, a 2016 MINI Cooper S 3 door, and her family of three were recognized as the best dressed car, driver and passengers, perfectly coordinating their outfits.
- 6 celebrations – MINI United in Kelowna marks the sixth iteration of brand celebration that MINI Canada has hosted. Based on the positive response, it promises not to be the last.
BMW Group in Canada
BMW Group Canada, based in Richmond Hill, Ontario, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BMW AG and is responsible for the distribution of BMW luxury performance automobiles, Sports Activity Vehicles, Motorcycles, and MINI. BMW Group Financial Services Canada is a division of BMW Group Canada and offers retail financing and leasing programs and protection products on new and pre-owned BMW and MINI automobiles, as well as retail financing for new and pre-owned BMW Motorcycles. A total network of 50 BMW automobile retail centres, 22 BMW motorcycle retailers, and 30 MINI retailers represents the BMW Group across the country.
For more information, please contact:
Marc Belcourt, Director, Corporate Communications
BMW Group Canada
905-428-5078 / email@example.com
Barb Pitblado, Manager, Corporate Communications
BMW Group Canada
905-428-5005 / firstname.lastname@example.org