PressClub Global · Article.
The new BMW 3 Series Sedan: Dynamic capability, efficiency and comfort are given the perfect stage.
17.11.2011 Press Kit
The sixth generation of the BMW 3 Series Sedan, the world’s best-selling premium car, sets new benchmarks in terms of sporting prowess, elegance and comfort. The pioneering history of the 3 Series serves as inspiration for the new sports sedan, whose powerful styling represents a fresh interpretation and conscientious development of traditional BMW design cues.
send an e-mail
This article in other PressClubsShow all
At a glance:
- The new 3 Series Sedan: sixth generation of the world’s best-selling premium vehicle accentuates the brand’s sporting character with its dynamic lines and athletic overall impression. The new 3 Series Sedan has also grown in terms of dimensions. Particularly striking are its wider track and, as a result, more impressive on-the-road presence. The flat design of the revised BMW kidney grille also serves to underline the car’s sporting feel. A modern interpretation of the classic three-box design with sweeping bonnet, short front overhang, long wheelbase and set-back greenhouse allows the new BMW 3 Series Sedan to project the dynamic allure typical of BMW in even more concentrated form.
- Increased interior space: a 93-millimetre increase in length enhances the elegant, sporty silhouette of the 3 Series. The rear passengers also gain from the car’s increased exterior dimensions and are welcomed by extra legroom inside the rear doors as they climb aboard. There is also 15 millimetres of additional knee room behind the front seats, while headroom is up by eight millimetres.
- Classic BMW interior: the cockpit wraps around the driver with a typically BMW driver focus and ensures that all important functions are within easy reach. The impressive ergonomics, high-grade materials and consummate workmanship underline the premium ambience of every model in the range.
- Three equipment lines: the new BMW 3 Series Sedan is available in three equipment lines in addition to the entry-level version. The Sport Line, Luxury Line and Modern Line allow customers to give their car a personal and eye-catching appearance and adapt it to their individual preferences. The careful coordination of equipment features embraces both exterior design elements and the selection of materials and colours for each model. An M Sport Package with special exterior and interior features is in the pipeline for summer 2012.
- Outstanding performance and efficiency: powerful engines, top-class chassis technology and a body boasting impressive torsional rigidity allow the new BMW 3 Series to build on its position as the sportiest sedan in its segment. Ride comfort is likewise taken to a new level. Agility and driving dynamics remain specialities of the sports sedan and are key ingredients in the enviable driving pleasure it offers its owners.
- Improved vehicle handling and enhanced driving pleasure: a
longitudinally mounted engine, rear-wheel drive and 50:50 weight
distribution are traditional 3 Series features which have
characterised driving pleasure in every generation of the car. Four
torquey, refined and economical engines, all of which feature
BMW TwinPower Turbo technology, will be available for the new
BMW 3 Series Sedan from launch.
- BMW EfficientDynamics technology in action: noticeable increases
in output are accompanied by reductions in fuel consumption and
emissions – significant in some cases – over the previous-generation
3 Series. The Auto Start-Stop function comes as standard with all engine-gearbox combinations.
- BMW 328i with 2.0-litre displacement: its BMW TwinPower Turbo
four-cylinder engine fronts a new generation of light and powerful petrol units which fit the new BMW 3 Series’ dynamic concept like a glove. The state-of-the-art turbocharged powerplant develops 180 kW/245 hp and peak torque of 350 Nm (258 lb-ft) from as low down as 1,250 rpm, accelerating the BMW 3 Series from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.9 seconds. Average fuel consumption is just 6,4 litres per
100 kilometres (44.1 mpg imp).
- The BMW 335i is a gift to six-in-line fans: the BMW TwinPower Turbo straight-six petrol engine with 3.0-litre displacement develops peak output of 225 kW/306 hp and maximum torque of 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) at just 1,200 rpm, ensuring that the new BMW 3 Series outstrips the performance of its predecessor, while undercutting its fuel consumption and emissions.
- More economical and lower in pollutant emissions: the high-output BMW TwinPower Turbo four-cylinder diesel engine puts an even more efficient foot forward. The cutting-edge unit gives the BMW 320d 135 kW/184 hp and 380 Nm (280 lb-ft) of torque and also powers the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition. Here it combines peak output of 120 kW/163 hp with average fuel consumption in the EU driving cycle of just 4,1 litres of diesel per 100 kilometres (68.9 mpg imp).
- And finally, the first full-hybrid compact sports sedan will
celebrate its premium segment premiere in autumn 2012. The new
BMW ActiveHybrid 3 will see innovative BMW ActiveHybrid drive technology blend with the sporting character of the BMW 3 Series to dynamic and efficient effect.
- Eight-speed automatic gearbox for all models: the new sports sedan comes as standard with a cutting-edge six-speed manual gearbox. An eight-speed automatic, which supports the Auto Start-Stop function, can be specified as an option in conjunction with all the petrol and diesel engines for the new BMW 3 Series.
- Driving Experience Control with ECO PRO mode comes with four driving programs: the new function allows the driver to choose between sporty, ultra-sporty, comfortable and extremely economical driving. ECO PRO mode helps drivers of all 3 Series models to maintain an economy-optimised driving style and therefore increase the distance the car can travel on each tank of fuel. Brake Energy Regeneration, the Optimum Shift Indicator, a disengageable air conditioning compressor in many models and the need-based operation of ancillary components all contribute to further reductions in fuel consumption.
- BMW ConnectedDrive gives safety a boost: a constantly expanding range of driver assistance systems responding to the most diverse driving situations ensure even greater safety and assurance. In a new development in this premium class, the new BMW 3 Series Sedan will be available with the latest-generation full-colour Head-Up Display. Safety is further enhanced by the Lane Change Warning System and Lane Departure Warning System. The Active Protection safety package, Advanced eCall and preventive occupant protection measures help to avoid accidents or, should the worst come to the worst, reduce their impact.
- BMW ConnectedDrive meets the most advanced standards of infotainment: high-functionality interface technology enables the driver and passengers to make extensive use of external mobile phones and music players inside the new BMW 3 Series Sedan. New Bluetooth office functions allow internet-based services such as weather, news etc., as well as calendar entries and text-based messages (SMS and e-mail), to be viewed in the Control Display of the iDrive operating system and read out via the Text to Speech function.
- Maximising comfort with BMW ConnectedDrive: comfort-enhancing technologies developed under the BMW ConnectedDrive umbrella include BMW Parking Assistant, Surround View, Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function, Speed Limit Info including No Passing Info display, and Real-Time Traffic Information (RTTI).
- A body structure boasting particularly high torsional rigidity and far-reaching active and passive safety systems provides maximum occupant protection. An intelligent lightweight body construction with flow-optimised underbody structure, Air Curtain technology – making its debut – for improved air flow around the front wheels, and sophisticated chassis technology with high light-alloy content play their part in laying on sporty handling, high agility and further enhanced ride comfort.
- A wide range of storage compartments enhance practicality: two large drinks holders are now integrated into the centre console ahead of the gearshift lever; these can be replaced by the oddments tray also included in the range of standard equipment. The front and rear door pockets now contain generous stowage surfaces, and the front doors have space for drinks bottles up to one litre in size. Boot capacity has increased by 20 litres. An optional through-loading system with 40:20:40 folding rear seat backrest offers flexible transportation solutions for bulky goods.
Article Offline Attachments.
The new BMW 3 Series Sedan PDF, EN, 1.09 MB
The new BMW 3 Series Sedan PDF, FR, 1.16 MB
The new BMW 3 Series Sedan PDF, ES, 1.14 MB
The new BMW 3 Series Sedan PDF, IT, 1.13 MB
The new BMW 3 Series Sedan PDF, ZH-CN, 1.37 MB
The new BMW 3 Series Sedan PDF, JA, 1.5 MB
The new BMW 3 Series Sedan PDF, AR, 1.72 MB
The new BMW 3 Series Sedan PDF, RU, 1.31 MB