PressClub India · Article.
The BMW i8 - Product Press Kit.
Thu Apr 28 09:01:00 CEST 2016 Press Kit
BMW i symbolises visionary vehicle concepts, inspirational design and a new take on the meaning of ‘premium’, with sustainability as a key defining element.
send an e-mail
- The BMW i8 is the second model from the new sub-brand BMW i and first plug-in hybrid vehicle from the BMW Group; distinctly forward-looking and sustainability-focused sports car; revolutionary interpretation of BMW’s hallmark driving pleasure.
- 2+2-seater with LifeDrive architecture developed specifically for BMW i, aerodynamically groundbreaking body design and visionary interior design deliver an intense driving experience; Life module passenger cell made from carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP); drive system technology, high-voltage battery, chassis, and crash and structural functions integrated into the aluminium Drive module; kerb weight: 1,485 kilograms; Cd: 0.26; very low centre of gravity at less than 460 millimetres; well-balanced weight distribution.
- Emotion-led visual impression based around established BMW i design language; classical sports car proportions and fresh interpretation of BMW design attributes; doors open upwards like wings; clean lines, plus surface design (external and internal) based on the layering principle; full-LED headlights and LED rear lights as standard.
- All-embracing sustainability concept running like a thread through the value chain; carbon fibre production and vehicle assembly using 100 per cent renewable electricity; innovative processing methods for recycled materials together with the use of materials treated in an environmentally friendly manner ensures that all components have a totally premium look and feel; leather tanned with olive leaf extracts for the instrument panel and visible sustainability as an intrinsic element of the avant-garde design: use of CFRP, aerodynamic performance, BMW eDrive technology, lightweight engineering and resource-efficient material selection all vividly depicted; results and methodology for the BMW i8’s life-cycle assessment (LCA) certified by the TÜV SÜD German technical inspection authority in accordance with ISO 14040/44.
- Plug-in hybrid system developed and produced by the BMW Group
represents the latest development stage of Efficient Dynamics;
cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology combined with BMW eDrive technology in the form of a hybrid synchronous electric motor; engine with a displacement of 1.5 litres, output of 170 kW/231 hp and maximum torque of 320 Nm; power sent to the rear wheels via a six-speed automatic gearbox; electric motor with an output of 96 kW/131 hp and maximum torque of 250 Nm; power channelled through the front wheels via a two-stage automatic transmission; lithium-ion high-voltage battery with direct refrigerant cooling and gross capacity of 7.1 kWh.
Combination of BMW TwinPower Turbo and BMW eDrive technology plus intelligent energy management produce a maximum system output of 266 kW/362 hp and give the BMW i8 the performance characteristics of a pure-bred sports car (0 – 100 km/h in 4.4 seconds) accompanied by fuel economy and emissions figures more familiar from a small car; Fuel consumption: 47.45 km/l, CO2emissions: 50.36 g/km; exceptional efficiency in everyday driving too, with actual fuel consumption figures that are around 50 per cent lower compared to conventional sports car concepts; "glued-to-the-road" AWD driving experience with torque distribution geared towards optimised dynamics.
Driving Experience Control switch and eDrive button allow driver to choose from five driving modes; range of up to 35 kilometres on electric power alone in EU test cycle and a top speed of 120 km/h; COMFORT mode offers optimum balance between dynamics and efficiency; combined range: up to 600 kilometres; SPORT mode with ultra-intense boost function provided by the electric motor and systematic energy recuperation for the high-voltage battery; ECO PRO mode can be used in both all-electric mode and hybrid mode.
Lithium-ion high-voltage battery can be charged at home very conveniently with the BMW i Wallbox or via the external charging cable and while driving.
Sophisticated chassis technology featuring a double-wishbone front axle and a five-link rear axle; Electric Power Steering; Dynamic Damper Control as standard; 20-inch light-alloy wheels as standard.
Intelligent lightweight construction with elements including a CFRP passenger cell, doors with a CFRP-aluminium structure, an instrument panel with magnesium supporting structure, an aluminium chassis and a partition between the passenger compartment and boot made from hardened thin glass; comprehensive safety concept and an ultra-torsionally stiff passenger cell; front, side and head/curtain airbags, inertia-reel seatbelts with belt force limiters front and rear, ISOFIX child seat attachment points and tyre pressure monitoring for each individual wheel as standard; pedestrian alert sound available as standard.
Extensive standard equipment includes the Navigation System Professional with proactive drive management for all-electric driving, fully digital instrument display for content and presentation formats that adapt according to the driving mode with 3D maps, 2-zone automatic climate control, BMW iDrive with freestanding 8.8-inch Control Display and Touch Controller, leather sports steering wheel with multifunction buttons, electrically adjustable leather sports seats and leather-trimmed instrument panel; choice of four exterior paint finishes and four interior equipment variants.
The BMW i8 features the Pure Impulse exclusive package as standard; fully equipped with 20-inch light-alloy wheels, LED headlights with extended features, BMW Head-Up Display, Driving Assistant with Surround View, seatbelts in BMW i Blue, roof liner in Anthracite, electrically adjustable front seats, light package, storage package, anti-theft alarm system, Harman Kardon hi-fi speaker system, larger fuel tank; exclusive interior appointments in Spheric full leather in Carum Grey, high-gloss black brake callipers with BMW i Blue highlighting and BMW i logo, ceramic gear selector, floor mats with leather piping and border seam in BMW i Blue, engine cover in leather, door sill strips with laser-etched model designation, plus BMW i Pure Impulse Card for exclusive lifestyle and event offers.
Groundbreaking display and control concept that is in keeping with the vehicle’s character and adds to the driving experience; individual interpretation of the traditional BMW driver-focused cockpit layout; multifunctional instrument display in bespoke design; instrument panel displays that take their cue from the current driving mode, including three-dimensional graphics; sound and light effects when the electric drive is started; dynamic range display in Control Display; perfectly legible supplementary information on powertrain control, driving mode and options for driving as efficiently as possible; the vehicle’s typically straightforward control logic including accompanying graphics also helps with the process of charging from the BMW i Wall box.
Wide range of BMW ConnectedDrive features: options include BMW Head-Up Display and Driving Assistant package with High Beam Assistant, Rear view camera, Surround View, Speed Limit Info including No Passing Info display and Collision and Pedestrian Warning with City Braking function.