PressClub South Africa · Article.
The first-ever BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe now available in South Africa.
30.03.2020 Press Kit
The first-ever BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe sees BMW bringing the four-door coupe concept that has already enjoyed great success in higher vehicle classes into the premium compact segment for the first time. It is now available in South Africa.
send an e-mail
- The first-ever BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (fuel consumption combined: 7.6 – 4.8 l/100 km; CO2 emissions combined: 173 – 127 g/km*) brings the four-door coupe concept that has already enjoyed success in higher vehicle classes into the premium compact segment for the first time. It injects a fresh dose of individuality, aesthetic appeal and emotional engagement, backed up by innovative control/operation and connectivity tech, excellent everyday usability and the dynamic capability for which BMW is renowned.
- Standout features include the dynamically stretched silhouette, the four frameless side windows and the rear lights extending well into the centre of the rear end, merging into a High-gloss Black band that runs up to and encircles the centrally located BMW badge.
- The 2 Series Gran Coupe measures 4,526 millimetres in length and 1,800 millimetres in width, and stands 1,420 millimetres tall. Despite its low-slung, sporty appearance, passengers are well catered for space-wise, thanks to the 2,670‑millimetre wheelbase. Plus, the 430‑litre load compartment can be expanded in various ways.
Dynamic front end with fresh interpretation of BMW icons: the slightly angled headlights (full-LED is standard) forming the prominent BMW four-eyed face draw attention to the familiar BMW kidney grille, which takes the form of a large and connected element.
As its sporting looks imply, the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe sets out to establish the dynamic yardstick in its class. The underpinnings for this are provided by the advanced BMW front-wheel-drive architecture, which the Gran Coupe shares with the new BMW 1 Series along with an array of other technological developments.
The near-actuator wheel slip limitation (ARB) tech familiar from the BMW i3s allows wheel slip to be controlled much more sensitively and swiftly than before.
- ARB is assisted in its task by the standard yaw moment distribution system BMW Performance Control, which increases handling agility by intelligently applying the brakes at the wheels on the inside of the bend before the slip threshold has been reached and ensures neutral steering behaviour.
- Standard specification for the sporty BMW M235i xDrive range-topper includes BMW xDrive all-wheel drive, a mechanical Torsen limited-slip differential, M Sport steering and M Sport brakes. The eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission also features a Launch Control mode. The three-dimensional mesh replacing the bars in the kidney grille is inspired by racing cars and adds an alluring visual feature.
- As well as the BMW M235i xDrive model, customers can choose from three equipment lines: Basic, Sport Line and M Sport.
- One diesel and two petrol engines are available at launch: a three-cylinder petrol with 103 kW in the BMW 218i, a 140 kW four-cylinder diesel unit in the BMW 220d and the BMW Group’s most powerful four-cylinder engine – developing 225 kW – in the BMW M235i xDrive.
- The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe benefits from innovative driver assistance systems filtering down from higher models. The Lane Departure Warning system with active lane return is optional, along with Active Cruise Control, the Driving Assistant including Lane Change Warning, rear collision warning and crossing traffic warning, plus the innovative reversing assistant.
- The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe can be locked and unlocked from a smartphone if the optional BMW Digital Key is specified. The engine can be started as soon as the smartphone is placed in its tray.
- The BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant is part of the control/operating concept. As a fully-fledged BMW expert, this digital character can learn routines and habits and subsequently apply them in the appropriate context. It can also provide casual conversation, throwing in the occasional joke or relating interesting stories.
- Connected Navigation services allow internal and external information to be factored into route planning. BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe drivers will be able to send destinations from various apps straight to their car’s navigation system, store and sync them.
Recommended retail prices in South Africa (including VAT, excluding CO2 tax):
218i – R 515 000
220d – R 595 000
M235i xDrive – R 725 000
Local images will be made available on the BMW South Africa PressClub after the national lockdown.
Article Offline Attachments.
The first-ever BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe - Highlights. PDF, EN, 1.03 MB
The first-ever BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Long Version.docx DOCX, EN, 77.61 KB
The first-ever BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Short Version.docx DOCX, EN, 58.64 KB
The first-ever BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe - Specifications. PDF, EN, 359.68 KB