PressClub South Africa · Article.
The all-new BMW 4 Series Coupé - with local photos and pricing.
01.12.2020 Press Kit
The latest generation of the sporty two-door model for the premium midsize segment underscores its distinctive character profile with both a vehicle concept focused squarely on delivering dynamic driving pleasure and the clear differentiation of the coupé from the new BMW 3 Series. This is the next chapter in a coupé tradition shaped by numerous legendary BMW models.
send an e-mail
- Models available to the South African market: BMW 420i, BMW 420d (both in rear-wheel drive) and the M440i xDrive.
- The BMW 420i and 420d are offered in standard base or the M Sport package. The BMW M440i xDrive is offered as an M Performance vehicle.
- All model variants are standard with eight-speed Steptronic transmission with new Sprint function for instantaneous and dynamic acceleration manoeuvres. BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive is available for the BMW M440i.
- The new BMW 4 Series Coupé has a sharper character than its predecessor. A precisely optimised body structure and chassis technology ensure characteristic performance attributes. Bespoke package of bracing elements increases body rigidity. Centre of gravity 21 millimetres lower, rear-axle track 23 millimetres wider than on the latest BMW 3 Series Sedan. Weight-minimised body and chassis construction. Finely balanced 50 : 50 weight distribution. Targeted optimisation of aerodynamics and reduction in lift at the rear axle.
- Lift-related dampers with bespoke tuning fitted as standard. Optional M Sport suspension with even firmer set-up for dampers, mounts and anti-roll bars, plus additional body struts and variable sport steering. Also available as options:
- Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled dampers, M Sport brakes with a choice of blue or red brake calipers, M Sport differential with fully variable locking function in the rear differential.
- Standalone body design clearly differentiated from the new BMW 3 Series with clean surfacing, a striking front end and signature coupé proportions.
- Prominent, vertical BMW kidney grille follows the tradition of legendary BMW coupés and reflects the engine’s high cooling air requirement. Stretched side window graphic, powerfully sculpted shoulders and flowing roofline exude athleticism and sporting elegance.
- Standard LED headlights with extremely slim contours. Adaptive LED Headlights with BMW Laserlight available as an option. Stylishly darkened LED rear lights with eye-catching L-shaped light bars.
- Design and equipment lines with clear focus on driving dynamics. M Sport model available as alternative to standard specification. 19-inch M light-alloy wheels and sporty soundtrack for the interior. Extensive selection of M Performance Parts available immediately.
- New interior design centred on sporty driving experience. Driver-focused cockpit design, new display grouping with up to 10.25-inch Control Display and optional, fully digital 12.3-inch instrument cluster. Control panel with high-quality design on the centre console, new sports leather steering wheel and newly developed sports seats as standard, knee pads on the centre console optional. Two seats in the rear with defined individual-seat character.
- Significantly enhanced acoustic and thermal comfort compared to predecessor model. Windscreen with acoustic glass and new three-zone automatic climate control fitted as standard; tilting/sliding glass roof with transparent surface extended by 24 millimetres in length; ambient lighting with Welcome Light Carpet, Hi-Fi loudspeaker system and auxiliary heating controlled by smartphone or BMW Display Key available as options.
- Significantly wider range of driver assistance systems than for the predecessor model. Front collision warning with brake input and Lane Departure Warning with lane return by means of steering assistance are now standard, likewise Speed Limit Info. Optional Driving Assistant Professional includes features such as Steering and Lane Control Assistant with new Active Navigation and the automatic formation of emergency lane function.
- New generation of BMW Head-Up Display offers 70 per cent larger projection surface. Innovative 3D visualisation of the surrounding area in the digital instrument cluster shows the driver the vehicle and its surroundings, as well as the activated assistance systems and the functions they can offer.
- Park Distance Control with front and rear sensors as standard. Optional Parking Assistant for automated entry into and exit from parking spaces now includes reversing assistant. Parking Assistant Plus also comes with Park View, Panorama View, 3D Top View and Remote 3D View. BMW Drive Recorder creates video up to 40 seconds in length of the car’s surroundings.
- BMW Operating System 7 enables individual and personalised screens on the Control Display and instrument cluster, plus use of the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant. Optimised interaction between vehicle occupants and the digital companion via new graphic on the Control Display. Intuitive, multimodal operation using the Control Display (touch control), iDrive Controller, steering wheel buttons, voice control and gesture control.
- New, cloud-based BMW Maps navigation system included as standard. Fast and precise calculation of routes and arrival times, updating of real-time traffic data at frequent intervals, free choice of words for selecting navigation destinations.
- Standard smartphone integration with Apple CarPlay and now also Android Auto, information can be viewed in Control Display, in the instrument cluster and in the optional Head-Up Display. Remote Software Upgrade enables over-the-air integration of improved vehicle functions and new digital services into the car.
BMW 420i Coupé:
Four-cylinder in-line petrol engine, eight-speed Steptronic transmission.
Capacity: 1,998 cc
Output: 135 kW at 5,000 – 6,500 rpm,
Max. torque: 300 Nm at 1,350 – 4,000 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 7.5 seconds, top speed: 240 km/h
Fuel consumption, combined: 5.8 – 5.3 l/100 km
BMW 420d Coupé:
Four-cylinder in-line diesel engine, eight-speed Steptronic transmission
Capacity: 1,995 cc
Output: 140 kW at 4,000 rpm
Max. torque: 400 Nm at 1,750 – 2,500 rpm
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 7.1 seconds
Top speed: 240 km/h
Fuel consumption, combined: 4.2 – 3.9 l/100 km
BMW M440i xDrive Coupé:
Six-cylinder in-line petrol engine, eight-speed Steptronic transmission
Capacity: 2,998 cc,
Output: 275 kW at 5,500 – 6,500 rpm
Max. torque: 500 Nm at 1,900 – 5,000 rpm
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 4.5 seconds
Top speed: 250 km/h
Fuel consumption, combined: 7.1 – 6.8 l/100 km
M Sport Package
R1 117 450