PressClub India · Article.
Press Kit - The all-new BMW F 900 R and BMW F 900 XR.
22.05.2020 Press Kit
The BMW F 900 R and BMW F 900 XR offer sporty riding fun, straightforward handling and a unique range of equipment options, packaged to offer attractive value for money.
send an e-mail
The Dynamic Duo: The all-new BMW F 900 R and BMW F 900 XR.
With the all-new Dynamic Roadster F 900 R and the F 900 XR in the Adventure Sport segment, BMW Motorrad is further expanding its product range for the popular mid-range. Both models offer sporty riding fun, straightforward handling and a unique range of equipment options, packaged to offer attractive value for money. Based on a powerful shared backbone, the two models differ significantly in terms of character and positioning.
The all-new BMW F 900 R – the Dynamic Roadster for purist riding fun.
Self-confident, sporty, active, focused on a dynamic experience – this is how fans of the BMW F 900 R could be described. The new dynamic roadster by BMW Motorrad conveys a sense of freedom and a modern lifestyle. At the emotional level, sports-style and aggressive design meets inspiring performance in terms of engine output, torque and sound. In addition, there are aspects such as a wide range of potential uses, a high level of suitability for everyday riding and ergonomics that make the F 900 R of equal interest to experienced sports riders and newcomers.
The all-new BMW F 900 XR – a genuine "XR" for the mid-range.
"XR" stands for an uncompromising mix of sportiness and touring capability. Having established this family with the BMW S 1000 XR, BMW Motorrad is now expanding it with the addition of a mid-range model. The design style and vehicle concept clear refer to the kinship with the "big sister".
The BMW F 900 XR also demonstrates easy mastery of the Adventure Sport segment’s key qualities: sporty riding dynamics combined with upright, GS- like ergonomics, outstanding long-distance and passenger suitability and a design that conveys a powerful sense of character.
The all-new F 900 XR also benefits from the technology transfer from the upper class and comes in two variants: Standard and Pro.
Technology benchmark in the segment.
The two new models BMW F 900 R and BMW F 900 XR currently set the technological benchmark in the mid-range segment with their high-quality standard equipment.
In the all-new F 900 R and F 900 XR, enhanced riding dynamics are ensured by the further development of the 2-cylinder in-line engine first introduced in 2018 in the F 850 GS, now with 77 kW (105 hp) and an even fuller torque curve. The main factor here is an increase in capacity to 895 cc (previously 853 cc). With an ignition distance of 270/450 degrees and a new underfloor silencer system, the engine offers a particularly emotional sound. The all-new F-models come with anti-hopping clutch as standard.
Two standard riding modes, ASC and ABS.
The all-new F 900 R and F 900 XR offer the "Rain" and "Road" riding modes as standard. In "Rain" mode, throttle response is gentler and the control characteristics of ABS and traction control allow for a wet and therefore more slippery road surface. In "Road" mode, the engine offers optimum throttle response, while ABS and traction control are set to achieve ideal performance on all roads.
The standard trim also includes BMW Motorrad ABS and ASC (Automatic Stability Control), which is disengageable.
Chassis with steel bridge frame, lightweight plastic tanks and the electronic suspension Dynamic ESA.
Like the GS models in the F Series, the all-new F 900 R and F 900 XR make use of a steel bridge frame that integrates the engine as a load-bearing element and a fuel tank that is now back in its classic position in front of the rider. Front wheel control is taken care of by an upside-down telescopic fork, while the rear wheel is guided by a double-sided swinging arm with central suspension strut.
The light, plastic-welded fuel tanks with a capacity of 15.5 litres (F 900 XR) and 13 litres (F 900 R) are a world first in motorcycle construction. The bolt- on steel rear frame has also been newly developed for the BMW F 900 R and BMW F 900 XR in order to create a visually short and slim rear. While the all-new BMW F 900 R is a dynamic roadster focusing on sporty use and therefore shorter spring travel, the all-new BMW F 900 XR – with its somewhat longer spring travel – offers a noticeable increase in comfort and therefore an even wider range of potential uses.
The all-new F900 XR Pro variant also offers Cruise Control, Gear Shift Assist Pro and the class leading Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment). With the BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA, it is possible to further enhance the dynamic riding experience, riding comfort and also touring and passenger suitability, since the damping of the rear spring strut is automatically adapted to the conditions depending on riding state and manoeuvers.
Perfectly readable colour 6.5-inch TFT screen with BMW Motorrad Connectivity as standard.
The BMW Motorrad developers attached great importance to optimum readability for the instrument cluster – even in difficult lighting conditions. In addition, information diversity, display quality and user-friendliness are unmatched. The all-new F 900 R and the all-new F 900 XR features a best- in-class large 6.5-inch colour TFT screen with BMW Motorrad connectivity as standard, wherein the variety of information, display quality and user- friendliness are unmatched. The graphics on the screen are visually adapted to the sporty on-road world.
The standard BMW Motorrad Connectivity is a unique feature in the mid- range, offering the ability to conveniently talk on the phone, listen to music or navigate while riding.
Perfectly designed ergonomic triangles for dynamic riding fun and – in the case of the F 900 XR – excellent segment-specific wind and weather protection for touring and travelling.
As a dynamic roadster, the all-new F 900 R offers a particularly sporty, active seating position. Meanwhile the all-new F 900 XR offers an impressively active yet relaxed riding position for touring and travelling. The front fairing including an adjustable windshield combines a sporty look with sound rider protection.
Various low and high seats along with the optional lowering feature also allow individual adjustment to various body heights.
Powerful colour and style variants each for an unmistakable sense of character.
Two dynamic colour and style variants for the latest F-models ensure unmistakable characteristics.
The all-new F 900 R is available in Blackstorm metallic, and Style Sport in Hockenheim Silver metallic/Racing Red.
In addition to Light White, the all-new F 900 XR is offered in Sport Style in Racing Red.
The highlights of the all-new BMW F 900 R and F 900 XR:
- The new BMW F 900 R: the dynamic roadster for purist riding fun.
- The new BMW F 900 XR: a genuine "XR" for the mid-range.
- The powerful common backbone integrates the further developed 2-cylinder in-line engine with an increased capacity of 895 cc (previously 853 cc).
- Further enhanced output and torque: 77 kW (105 hp) at 8,500 rpm and 92Nm at 6,500 rpm.
- More than 87 Nm torque in the relevant lower speed range from 4,500 to 8,500 rpm.
- High level of running smoothness due to two opposed counterbalance shafts.
- Two riding modes "Rain" and "Road" as well as ABS and ASC as standard.
- Steel bridge frame for optimum rigidity, robustness and riding precision.
- Newly developed slim steel rear frame.
- World first in motorcycle construction: light, plastic-welded fuel tanks with a capacity of 13 litres (F 900 R) and 15.5 litres (F 900 XR).
- Front upside-down telescopic fork and aluminium double-sided swinging arm with rear central suspension strut.
- Spring travel: 135 mm (F 900 R) and 170 mm (F 900 XR) at front, 142 mm (F900 R) and 172 mm (F 900 XR) at rear.
- Electronic suspension adjustment Dynamic ESA.
- Sophisticated ergonomics and numerous seat alternatives.
- Fairing with practical wind and weather protection and adjustable windshield (F 900 XR).
- Perfectly readable colour 6.5-inch TFT screen with BMW motorcycle connectivity as standard.
- Powerful LED lighting units all round as standard.
- F 900 R in dynamic roadster design with muscular front section, aggressive headlight graphics and short, slim rear section.
- F 900 XR in Adventure Sport look with striking contours and sporty, dynamic fairing.
- High-quality workmanship down to the last detail.
- Two powerful colour and style variants each for unmistakable roadster andadventure sport characters.
- Extensive range of Original BMW Motorrad Accessories as well as rider equipment.