PressClub Africa, DOM, East Europe · Article.
The new BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive.
26.05.2021 Press Kit
With the introduction of a third body variant, BMW M GmbH is adding a highly exclusive model to its line-up of high-performance sports cars in the premium midsize segment.
send an e-mail
This article in other PressClubsShow all
- Third body variant joins the new generation of top-class
high-performance sports cars for the premium midsize segment:
BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive: 375 kW/510 hp, acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 3.7 seconds, fuel consumption combined: 10.2 l/100 km [27.7 mpg imp] in the WLTP cycle; CO2 emissions combined: 233 – 231 g/km in WLTP.
- BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive breaks new ground for M as an open-top high-performance sports car with all-wheel drive. Compelling blend of exclusive driving pleasure and majestic performance. Classic M formula of dynamism, agility and precision combined with uncompromising everyday usability and long-distance capabilities. Unobstructed access to the sun and onrushing wind, and direct immersion in the engine’s soundtrack with the roof down, create a performance experience of standout intensity. Launch immediately after the start of production in July 2021.
- Emotionally engaging design with clear forms, a dynamically stretched silhouette and new softtop concept. Panel bow softtop combines the practical benefits of a retractable hardtop with the classically elegant aesthetic of a fabric hood. Softtop is 40 per cent lighter than the predecessor’s roof, boot capacity is 80 litres larger. The softtop can be opened or closed in 18 seconds, even when moving, thanks to its electric drive mechanism.
- Signature M exterior features play an authentic role in meeting the requirements of a high-performance sports car: large, vertical BMW kidney grille in M-specific design, large cooling air intakes for engine and brakes, powerfully contoured wheel arches, distinctive M Side Gills. Exhaust system’s two pairs of tailpipes integrated into M-specific diffuser. Prominently extended side sills combine with attachment parts for front and rear aprons to form a black band encircling the body. M Carbon exterior package and BMW M Performance Parts available as options.
- Six-cylinder in-line engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology, high-revving character and maximum output increased by 44 kW/60 hp over the predecessor model. Two turbochargers, optimised direct injection technology, components developed on the back of racing expertise. Hallmark M performance characteristics and peak torque of 650 Nm (479 lb-ft). Cooling and oil supply systems designed to handle extremely dynamic longitudinal and lateral performance. Exhaust system with electrically controlled flaps for an emotionally rich soundtrack.
- Power channelled via an eight-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic. Three shift programs, selector lever in M-specific design, gearshift paddles on the steering wheel.
- M xDrive all-wheel-drive system and Active M Differential enhance traction, directional stability and dynamism. Rear-biased setup, three modes for the driver to choose from: 4WD, 4WD Sport and 2WD for pure rear-wheel drive with the driving stability control system deactivated.
- Model-specific chassis setup: double-joint spring strut front axle with bespoke axle geometry and steering ratio, five-link rear axle with specially tuned kinematics and elastokinematics.
- Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled dampers, M Servotronic steering with variable ratio as standard. Integrated braking system with two settings for pedal feel and response. M Compound brakes as standard, M Carbon ceramic brakes as an option.
- Forged M light-alloy wheels measuring 19 inches at the front and 20 inches at the rear as standard.
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system including M Dynamic Mode. Extremely quick and precise responses as a result of integrated wheel slip control.
- Optional M Drive Professional: M Traction Control with ten-stage adjustment of wheel slip limitation, M Drift Analyser and M Laptimer.
- Body structure and chassis mountings with exceptional torsional stiffness thanks to complete package of bracing elements focused on enhancing driving dynamics, front axle subframe with aluminium shear panel and rear axle subframe with a rigid connection to the body. Package of torsion struts has been added at the rear of the body for this specific model.
- Ergonomically optimised sports car cockpit with M-specific displays and controls. Newly developed M Sport seats and Extended Merino leather trim as standard, seat ventilation optional. M Carbon bucket seats in structure-based design available as an option.
- M-specific control/operation concept with Setup button for direct access to the settings for the engine, chassis, steering, braking system and M xDrive. Two individually composed variants of the overall setup can be called up via the M buttons on the steering wheel.
- M Mode button enables customised configuration of both the interventions from the driver assistance systems and the displays in the instrument cluster and optional Head-Up Display. ROAD and SPORT settings available as standard; TRACK mode is added when M Drive Professional is specified.
- Extensive selection of driver assistance systems to boost long-distance comfort and safety. Driving Assistant Professional (including Steering and Lane Control Assistant, Active Navigation function and Emergency Lane Assistant) and Parking Assistant with Reversing Assistant both available as options.
- Standard specification includes three-zone automatic climate control, ambient lighting, hi-fi speaker system, plus BMW Live Cockpit Professional featuring fully digital display grouping, cloud‑based navigation system BMW Maps and BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant.
- Optional M Race Track Package reduces vehicle weight by around 25 kilograms with features such as M Carbon ceramic brakes, bespoke M light-alloy wheels and M Carbon bucket seats.
Article Offline Attachments.
The new BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive - Highlights. PDF, EN, 4.29 MB
The new BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive - Long Version. PDF, EN, 224.21 KB
The new BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive - Short Version. PDF, EN, 183.59 KB
The new BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive - Specifications. PDF, EN, 165.58 KB