PressClub Portugal · Article.
Echoes in eternity: the edge-of-your-seat duel between BMW driver Timo Glock and Gary Paffett in figures.
Fri May 18 13:01:01 CEST 2018 Informação à Imprensa
Two weeks after the spectacular DTM season-opener in Hockenheim (GER), everyone is still talking about the wheel-to-wheel duel between BMW works driver Timo Glock (GER) and Mercedes driver Gary Paffett (GBR). We have turned the emotions of the duel into hard facts and put together a summary of the most interesting figures for you.
send an e-mail
Munich. “Epic battle”, “edge-of-the-seat duel” or “the most awesome race of my life”: two weeks after the spectacular DTM season-opener in Hockenheim (GER), everyone is still talking about the wheel-to-wheel duel between BMW works driver Timo Glock (GER) and Mercedes driver Gary Paffett (GBR). In Sunday’s race, the two drivers put on a nerve-racking show for several laps and the lead changed hands several times before Glock emerged triumphant in the DEUTSCHE POST BMW M4 DTM and claimed victory in the race. We have turned the emotions of the duel into hard facts and put together a summary of the most interesting figures for you.
Facts & figures about the Glock vs. Paffett duel:
– Timo Glock starts the race from pole position, Gary Paffett starts from tenth place.
– Lap 19 marks the first moment that Glock and Paffett are in adjacent positions, in sixth and seventh.
– The Mercedes driver takes the lead for the first time on lap 23.
– The lead changes hands between Glock and Paffett six times during the duel.
– Paffett’s lead over Glock reaches 0.767 s econds.
– Overall, Glock leads the race for 23 laps and Paffett for five laps.
– All told, the two drivers are wheel-to-wheel for more than 119 seconds at the Hockenheimring, which corresponds to a distance of approximately six kilometres.
– The duel between Glock and Paffett takes place at top speed: the maximum speed during the battle is 271 km/h.
– Glock and Paffett’s struggle lasts 11 nerve-racking laps at the Hockenheimring; the battle covers a total distance of 50 kilometres.
– The decisive moment of the duel comes five minutes before the end of the race: Paffett has used up his DRS allowance, while Glock can still make use of the DRS six times.
– Glock crosses the line 3.099 seconds ahead of Paffett, who finishes third. Mike Rockefeller is in second, 2.078 seconds behind Glock.
– The duel itself, and Glock’s radio comments after crossing the finishing line, have already achieved legendary status: his message to the fans, Paffett, Mercedes and his team lasted 55 seconds.