PressClub South Africa · Article.
The new BMW 5 Series.
27.05.2020 Press Kit
A heightened sense of outward authority, an interior brimming with detail refinements, the efficiency-enhancing influence of electrification and cutting-edge innovations in the areas of driver assistance, control/operation and connectivity help the new BMW 5 Series to cement its leading position at the premium end of the executive class.
send an e-mail
- Premiere for the new BMW 5 Series: extensively updated exterior design with heightened presence and sporting allure, further enhanced premium feel for the interior, increased efficiency and dynamism through drive system electrification, cutting-edge innovations in the areas of driver assistance, control/operation and connectivity.
- New chapter in the successful history of the BMW 5 Series (first introduced in 1972); worldwide sales of the current model generation have topped 600,000 units.
- New, eye-catching design accents, clearly structured surfaces at the front and rear, newly designed BMW kidney grille now wider and taller, new LED headlights with slimmer contours, Adaptive LED Headlights with matrix technology added to the options list, BMW Laserlight now available as an option for all model variants, new three-dimensional sculpted rear lights, all model variants now with trapezoidal exhaust tailpipe finishers.
- New exterior colours and additional BMW Individual paint finishes, M Sport package with new and muscular design features, additional model-specific accents for the flagship BMW M550i xDrive Sedan
- New light-alloy wheels in 18- to 20-inch formats, 20-inch BMW Individual Air Performance Wheels available as an option for the first time, innovative design minimises the wheels’ weight and air resistance.
- Interior design with detail refinements, optional 12.3-inch Control Display (10.25-inch Control Display now standard), automatic climate control with extended features and sports leather steering wheel with newly arranged multifunction buttons. Controls on the centre console now in High-gloss Black. New Sensatec perforated trim variant for the seat surfaces; comfort seats and new M multifunction seats with optimised seating comfort, new interior trim strips.
- Further developed BMW TwinPower Turbo technology: four- and six-cylinder petrol engines with optimised petrol injection; all diesel engines now with two-stage turbocharging. All four- and six-cylinder model variants now meet the Euro 6d emissions standard.
- Optional Integral Active Steering offers greater assistance in low-speed manoeuvring; new version of chassis system now also available for plug-in hybrid models.
- New driver assistance systems and extended functions pave the way for automated driving: Lane Departure Warning – part of the optional Driving Assistant – now also with lane return function; new optional Driving Assistant Professional now includes Active Navigation with the help of the Lane Change Assistant, automatic formation of emergency lane and junction warning (now with city braking) functions. 3D visualisation of the surrounding area shows traffic situations and possible interventions by the driver assistance systems in the instrument cluster.
- Optional Parking Assistant with additional reversing assistant function.
- New BMW Drive Recorder in the BMW 5 Series (part of the optional Parking Assistant Plus) records up to 40 seconds of video footage from points around the vehicle.
- Standard-fitted BMW Operating System 7 opens up a host of potential new applications and connectivity options, as well as extended personalisation.
- BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant digital companion with extended functions; optimised interaction courtesy of new graphics in the Control Display.
- Premiere for BMW Maps: New cloud-based navigation system offers extremely fast and precise calculation of routes and arrival times. Real-time traffic data updates at short intervals, driver can now enter any word when selecting a destination.
- Standard smartphone integration now also features Android Auto (in addition to Apple CarPlay); wireless WiFi connectivity; information shown in the Control Display, instrument cluster and optional Head-Up Display.
- Remote Software Upgrade introduced in the new BMW 5 Series: Vehicle-specific content and updates such as function extensions for driver assistance systems can be integrated into the car over the air, vehicle software always has the latest updates, digital services can be added at a later date.
Model variants available in Q4, for the South African market:
BMW 520d Sedan
BMW 530i Sedan
BMW M550i xDrive Sedan
BMW M5 Competition
If you have any queries regarding this press announcement, please contact:
BMW South Africa Group Communications:
Mr Sibusiso Mkwanazi
BMW South Africa (Pty) Ltd
Manager: Group Product Communications
Cell: +27 71 666 0171
The BMW Group
With its four brands BMW, MINI, Rolls-Royce and BMW Motorrad, the BMW Group is the world’s leading premium manufacturer of automobiles and motorcycles and also provides premium financial and mobility services. The BMW Group production network comprises 31 production and assembly facilities in 15 countries; the company has a global sales network in more than 140 countries.
In 2019, the BMW Group sold over 2.5 million passenger vehicles and more than 175,000 motorcycles worldwide. The profit before tax in the financial year 2019 was € 7.118 billion on revenues amounting to € 104.210 billion. As of 31 December 2019, the BMW Group had a workforce of 126,016 employees.
The success of the BMW Group has always been based on long-term thinking and responsible action. The company has therefore established ecological and social sustainability throughout the value chain, comprehensive product responsibility and a clear commitment to conserving resources as an integral part of its strategy.
BMW Group websites:
Social Media Pages:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BMWGroup (BMW South Africa, BMW Motorrad SA, MINISouthAfrica).
Twitter: http://twitter.com/BMWGroup (@BMW_SA, @BMWMotorradSA and @MINISouthAfrica).
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/BMWGroupview (BMW South Africa and BMW Motorrad SA.
Article Offline Attachments.
The new BMW 5 Series - Highlights. PDF, EN, 1.88 MB
The new BMW 5 Series - Short Version. PDF, EN, 131.99 KB
The new BMW 5 Series - Long Version. PDF, EN, 356.66 KB
The new BMW 5 Series Sedan - Specifications. PDF, EN, 352.17 KB
The new BMW 5 Series Touring - Specifications. PDF, EN, 246.27 KB