PressClub Middle East · Article.
The new MINI 3 door & 5 door. The new MINI Convertible.
Tue Jan 09 23:43:00 CET 2018 Press Release
The British premium automobile manufacturer strengthens the progressive character and appeal of its models in the small car segment with a stylishly refined visual appearance and extensive technological advancements. The update for the MINI 3 door includes fresh design accentuations, innovations in the field of drive technology, additional customisation options and an expansion of the digital services available as part of MINI Connected.
send an e-mail
The British premium automobile manufacturer strengthens the progressive character and appeal of its models in the small car segment with a stylishly refined visual appearance and extensive technological advancements. The update for the MINI 3 door , the MINI 5 door and the MINI Convertible includes fresh design accentuations, innovations in the field of drive technology, additional customisation options and an expansion of the digital services available as part of MINI Connected.
The upgrading of the original product substance in the premium
segment of small cars highlights the mature yet distinctive charisma
of MINI, which in its current model generation is now available for
the first time with three body types for hallmark driving fun in urban
traffic. This is due to such elements as the new engine-transmission
combinations, an extended range of standard features, newly designed
headlights and rear lights, additional body finishes and cutting-edge
connectivity technology for convenience and infotainment.
MINI 3 door, MINI 5 door, MINI Convertible: overview of new features.
- LED headlights with Matrix function for the high beam.
- LED rear lights in Union Jack design.
- New MINI logo, new body finishes, Piano Black exterior.
- New light alloy wheels.
- Extended range of leather trim, interior surfaces and Colour Lines.
- Unique individualisation with MINI Yours Customised.
- Further developed engines with enhanced efficiency as well as increased capacity and torque for MINI One and MINI One First.
- 7-speed Steptronic transmission with double clutch, 8-speed Steptronic transmission.
- Multifunction steering wheel and radio with 6.5-inch colour screen, USB and Bluetooth interface as standard.
- Optional radio and navigation systems with touchscreen monitor.
- Telephony with wireless charging.
- MINI logo projection from the exterior mirror on the driver's side.
- MINI Connected and MINI Connected XL with new functions.
Bright and dazzle-free: adaptive LED headlights with Matrix function for the high beam.
A modified design for the characteristic circular headlights make the hallmark front view of the new MINI 3 door, the new MINI 5 door and the new MINI Convertible even more powerfully expressive. In the standard halogen headlights, a striking accentuation is added by means of a black panel. In the LED headlights available as optional equipment items, the high-quality technology is underscored by means of an entirely newly design of the light sources. The latest generation of the LED modules for low and high beam offers increased brightness. The LED daytime driving light and the turn indicator light are generated by a ring which surrounds the entire contour of the headlight,
Likewise optionally available, the adaptive LED headlights automatically adjust their brightness to the situation on the road. When driving through a city or in the event of limited visibility due to the weather, it is possible to add in the dimmed turning light so as to intensify illumination of the side section of the roadway. Meanwhile a specifically increased range of the low beam ensures optimum illumination of the road when driving on the motorway.
The adaptive LED headlights now also feature an automatic selective dip function for the high beam. The innovative Matrix technology for the high beam increases visibility range while at the same time avoiding any dazzle effect for other road users. For this purpose it is divided into four horizontally arranged segments, which are activated and deactivated independently of one another at speeds of over 70 km/h. The high beam segments are controlled based on the situation on the road. As soon as the MINI front camera registers an oncoming vehicle or a vehicle driving ahead, the space that vehicle occupies is only illuminated at low beam brightness. This is done by deactivation of the Matrix high beam segments that are responsible for the space in question. The remaining areas of the road continue to be illuminated at high beam brightness.
Very British: rear lights in Union Jack design.
The rear lights also feature a new design in conjunction with the LED headlights and the adaptive LED headlights. As a clear reference to the brand's British origins, the upright light units at the rear of the new MINI 3 door, the new MINI 5 door and the new MINI Convertible now appear in a Union Jack design.
The striking flag motif is recreated in the structure of the light functions. The turn indicators are horizontally arranged and the brake lights are vertically aligned, with the tail light additionally representing the diagonal lines of the British flag. In order to ensure a particularly harmonious lighting effect, all light sources forming the Union Jack graphic use LED technology.
New MINI logo: reduced to the essentials.
The new MINI logo is clear and authentic in style, appearing on the bonnet, tailgate, steering wheel, central instrument display and remote control in all models. It is a re-interpretation of the existing logo and now features a two-dimensional "flat design". As such, the MINI logo reflects the new brand identity with its focus on the essentials – namely key values such as driving fun, distinctive design, premium quality and emotional appeal.
Three new body finishes, premiere for Piano Black Exterior.
The range of body finishes available for the new MINI 3 door, the new MINI 5 door and the new MINI Convertible includes three variants. The colours Emerald Grey metallic, Starlight Blue metallic and Solaris Orange metallic are now also included in the program.
What is more, the list of optional equipment items features an additional means of customising the exterior design. With the option Piano Black Exterior, the surrounds of the headlights, rear lights and radiator grille are finished in high-gloss black instead of chrome.
The selection of optionally available light alloy wheels has been expanded, too. The 17-inch light alloy wheels in the design styles Roulette Spoke 2-tone and Propeller Spoke 2-tone are now available for all body variants of the new MINI. The likewise 17-inch light alloy wheels in Rail Spoke 2-tone design have also been newly added to the program.
New leather trims, interior surfaces and Colour Lines.
A broad selection of seat surfaces, interior surfaces and Colour Lines add a touch of individual style to the interior of the new MINI 3 door, the new MINI 5 door and the new MINI Convertible. New features for the MINI 3 door and the MINI 5 door include the Chester leather trim in Malt Brown and a Colour Line now also available in Malt Brown.
In addition, the option MINI Yours Interior Style Piano Black is now available with illumination. As well as surfaces in the area of the doors and centre console finished in Piano Black, this also includes a rear-lit decorative strip for the instrument panel on the passenger side. The latter is likewise finished in Piano Black as well as bearing a stylised Union Jack motif. The colour of the background lighting for the decorative strip is the same as the mood of the ambient lighting selected by the driver as part of the MINI Excitement Package.
Maximum individualisation: MINI Yours Customised.
The MINI Yours Customised program now raises hallmark brand individualisation to a whole new level. It includes retrofit products whose design can be created by customers themselves, which are then produced precisely according to these individual specifications. The MINI Yours Customised range includes side scuttles, decorative strips for the interior on the passenger side, LED door sill finishers and LED door projectors.
MINI Yours Customised products can be selected, designed and ordered through a specially created online shop (www.yours-customised.mini). Here customers can choose between various colours, patterns, surface structures and icons, as well as contributing their own texts and adding a touch of personal style to the design. This creative interaction between manufacturer and customer enables MINI fans to turn their vehicle into a unique specimen that bears the stamp of their own personality. The individualised products are manufactured using innovative production techniques such as various 3D printing methods and laser engraving.
Drive: increased driving fun and efficiency, reduced weight.
A detailed revision of the engines offered for the new MINI 3 door, the new MINI 5 door and the new MINI Convertible mainly benefits driving fun. It also leads to a reduction in fuel consumption and CO2 figures by as much as five per cent, as well as optimising emissions so as to be able to comply with the more rigorous exhaust emission standards of the future. Further development has been applied across the board, including the basic engine, MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology, engine electronics, oil supply, intake air ducting, the cooling system and the exhaust systems. It was also possible to reduce the weight of the drive units. The engine covers are made of carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP), so they are now lighter, too. The material used to make them is carbon fibre recyclate generated in the production of BMW i automobiles.
The 3-cylinder petrol engines of the MINI One First and the MINI One now draw their power from a capacity of 1.5 litres. This increases maximum torque by 10 Nm, taking it to 160 and 190 Nm respectively. In addition, all petrol engines feature petrol direct injection with the maximum pressure increased from 200 to 350 bar and turbocharger blades made of highly heat-resilient material. The common rail direct injection in the diesel engines ensures that fuel is fed to the combustion chambers with even greater precision. For this purpose, the maximum injection pressure in the 3-cylinder engines of the MINI One D and the MINI Cooper D has been increased to 2 200 bar and in the 4-cylinder of the MINI Cooper SD to 2 500 bar. What is more, the most powerful of the three diesel engines is now fitted with dual-level turbocharging.
New: 7-speed Steptronic transmission with double clutch, 8-speed Steptronic transmission.
As an alternative to the standard 6-speed manual transmission, a 7-speed Steptronic transmission with double clutch is optionally available for the models MINI One, MINI Cooper, MINI Cooper S and MINI Cooper D. The new transmission type is characterised by very fast gearshifts, enabling extremely sporty acceleration manoeuvres without torque interrupt. It is operated using a newly designed electronic gear selector lever. A 7-speed Steptronic sports transmission with double clutch is also available for the MINI Cooper S. This includes shift paddles at the steering wheel for particularly spontaneous manual intervention in the choice of gear.
The MINI Cooper SD now comes with an 8-speed Steptronic transmission as standard. This 8-speed automatic transmission is unique in the small car segment and allows the output of the most powerful diesel engine to be transferred to the front wheels in a particularly sporty and harmonious manner. The 8-speed Steptronic transmission is also operated by means of an electronic gear selector lever, while an 8-speed Steptronic sports transmission with shift paddles is likewise available as an option.
All Steptronic transmissions available for the new MINI 3 door, the new MINI 5 door and the new MINI Convertible allow use of the coasting function in MID and GREEN mode as well as the latest generation of the auto start/stop function. Navigation and front camera data can now be incorporated in the control of the latter, too. If the vehicle is fitted accordingly, this allows situations to be identified in which it is better not to switch off the engine: for example when stopping briefly before making a turn or entering a roundabout, or if the traffic ahead has started moving again.
Diverse range of engines.
There are seven engine variants to choose from for the new MINI 3 door:
- MINI One First 3 door: 55 kW/75 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 12.8 seconds, top speed: 175 km/h, fuel consumption: 5.0 – 4.9 litres/100 km*, CO2 emissions: 115 – 111 g/km*.
- MINI One 3 door: 75 kW/102 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 10.1 seconds (10.2 seconds), top speed: 195 km/h (195 km/h), fuel consumption: 5.0 – 4.9 litres/100 km (5.0 – 4.8 litres/100 km)*, CO2 emissions: 115 – 111 g/km (114 – 109 g/km)*.
- MINI Cooper 3 door: 100 kW/136 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 7.9 seconds (7.8 seconds), top speed: 210 km/h (210 km/h), fuel consumption: 5.2 – 5.0 litres/100 km (5.0 – 4.8 litres/100 km)*, CO2 emissions: 118 – 114 g/km (114 – 109 g/km)*.
- MINI Cooper S 3 door: 141 kW/192 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 6.8 seconds (6.7 seconds), top speed: 235 km/h (235 km/h), fuel consumption: 6.1 – 6.0 litres/100 km (5.3 – 5.2 litres/100 km)*, CO2 emissions: 139 – 138 g/km (120 – 119 g/km)*.
- MINI One D 3 door: 70 kW/95 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 11.2 seconds, top speed: 190 km/h, fuel consumption: 3.9 – 3.8 litres/100 km*, CO2 emissions: 102 – 99 g/km*.
- MINI Cooper D 3 door: 85 kW/116 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 9.2 seconds (9.3 seconds), top speed: 205 km/h (204 km/h), fuel consumption: 3.9 – 3.9 litres/100 km (3.8 – 3.8 litres/100 km)*, CO2 emissions: 103 – 102 g/km (100 – 99 g/km)*.
- MINI Cooper SD 3 door: 125 kW/170 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 7.2 seconds, top speed: 225 km/h, fuel consumption: 4.2 – 4.2 litres/100 km*, CO2 emissions: 111 – 110 g/km*.
Four petrol engines and three diesel engines are also offered for the new MINI 5 door:
- MINI One First 5 door: 55 kW/75 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 13.4 seconds, top speed: 172 km/h, fuel consumption: 5.1 – 4.9 litres/100 km*, CO2 emissions: 116 – 112 g/km*.
- MINI One 5 door: 75 kW/102 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 10.3 seconds (10.5 seconds), top speed: 192 km/h (192 km/h), fuel consumption: 5.1 – 4.9 litres/100 km (5.0 – 4.8 litres/100 km)*, CO2 emissions: 116 – 112 g/km (115 – 110 g/km)*.
- MINI Cooper 5 door: 100 kW/136 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 8.2 seconds (8.1 seconds), top speed: 207 km/h (207 km/h), fuel consumption: 5.2 – 5.1 litres/100 km (5.0 – 4.8 litres/100 km)*, CO2 emissions: 120 – 116 g/km (115 – 110 g/km)*.
- MINI Cooper S 5 door: 141 kW/192 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 6.9 seconds (6.8 seconds), top speed: 235 km/h (235 km/h), fuel consumption: 6.3 – 6.2 litres/100 km (5.4 – 5.4 litres/100 km)*, CO2 emissions: 143 – 141 g/km (124 – 123 g/km)*.
- MINI One D 5 door: 70 kW/95 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 11.6 second, top speed: 187 km/h, fuel consumption: 3.9 – 3.8 litres/100 km*, CO2 emissions: 103 – 101 g/km *.
- MINI Cooper D 5 door: 85 kW/116 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 9.4 seconds (9.6 seconds), top speed: 203 km/h (202 km/h), fuel consumption: 4.0 – 3.9 litres/100 km (4.0 – 3.9 litres/100 km)*, CO2 emissions: 104 – 103 g/km (104 – 103 g/km)*.
- MINI Cooper SD 5 door: 125 kW/170 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 7.3 seconds, top speed: 223 km/h, fuel consumption: 4.2 – 4.2 litres/100 km*, CO2 emissions: 112 – 110 g/km*.
The engine portfolio for the new MINI Convertible consists of three petrol engines and three diesel engines:
- MINI One Convertible: 75 kW/102 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 10.6 seconds, top speed: 190 km/h, fuel consumption: 5.2 – 5.0 litres/100 km*, CO2 emissions: 119 – 115 g/km*.
- MINI Cooper Convertible: 100 kW/136 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 8.8 seconds (8.7 seconds), top speed: 208 km/h (206 km/h), fuel consumption: 5.4 – 5.2 litres/100 km (5.4 – 5.2 litres/100 km)*, CO2 emissions: 123 – 119 g/km (123 – 118 g/km)*.
- MINI Cooper S Convertible: 141 kW/192 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 7.2 seconds (7.1 seconds), top speed: 230 km/h (230 km/h), fuel consumption: 6.4 – 6.3 litres/100 km (5.6 – 5.5 litres/100 km)*, CO2 emissions: 146 – 144 g/km (127 – 126 g/km)*.
- MINI Cooper D Convertible: 85 kW/116 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 9.9 seconds (9.9 seconds), top speed: 195 km/h (195 km/h), fuel consumption: 4.3 – 4.2 litres/100 km (4.3 – 4.1 litres/100 km)*, CO2 emissions: 112 – 111 g/km (113 – 109 g/km)*.
- MINI Cooper SD Convertible: 125 kW/170 hp, 0 – 100 km/h in 7.7 seconds, top speed: 218 km/h, fuel consumption: 4.4 – 4.3 litres/100 km*, CO2 emissions: 115 – 114 g/km*.
New steering wheel with multifunction buttons and radio with 6.5-inch colour screen as standard.
The newly designed three-spoke steering wheel in the MINI 3 door, MINI 5 door and MINI Convertible now features multifunction buttons. On the left-hand control panel it is possible to activate the Speed Limit Device to set a maximum speed, while the audio and communication controls are on the right-hand side. A sports leather steering wheel, a MINI Yours sports leather steering wheel and a John Cooper Works leather steering wheel are optionally available.
The standard trim also includes an audio system with 6.5-inch colour screen in the central instrument and mobile phone integration via Bluetooth. The Control Display offers a touchscreen function in conjunction with the optional Radio MINI Visual Boost and a navigation system.
New options: telephony with wireless charging, MINI logo projection.
The innovative optional equipment for the new MINI 3 door, the new MINI 5 door and the new MINI Convertible includes telephony with wireless charging option. A storage compartment integrated in the centre armrest enables wireless charging of mobile phones which offer this capability. This option also includes a second USB socket in the front section of the centre console.
The optional MINI Excitement Package now also includes the MINI logo projection on the driver's side. When the vehicle is opened and closed, the new MINI logo is projected onto the ground in front of the door from a light source in the exterior mirror and can be seen there for 20 seconds, or permanently if the door is left open.
MINI Connected: a range of digital services that is unique within the segment.
With the new MINI Connected functions, MINI offers a diverse range of digital services at premium level that is unique in the small car segment. New features include Real Time Traffic Information and the automatic navigation map update via mobile phone connection, the personal Concierge Service and the vehicle internet portal MINI Online with news, weather and fuel price overview. There is also an optional preparation for Apple CarPlay.
The new services are available in three packages. The option Connected Media includes digital infotainment facilities that can be used with the Radio MINI Visual Boost, while Connected Navigation turns the MINI navigation system into an intelligently networked information centre. The Connected Navigation Plus package includes all the MINI Connected XL functions.
The personal mobility assistant MINI Connected now enables drivers of the new MINI 3 door, the new MINI 5 door and the new MINI Convertible to integrate their vehicle and mobility planning seamlessly into their day-to-day digital routine. Meanwhile the MINI Connected App provides connectivity with digital touchpoints such as a smartphone or smart watch. For example, MINI Connected can draw on calendar entries and contact data entered in a smartphone to plan a route and determine the ideal time to set off based on real time traffic data. The Send to Car function enables planned routes to be sent to the MINI navigation system, while Remote Services allow the driver not just to display vehicle location, fuel level and other vehicle status details on their digital end device, but also activate the headlight flasher, horn, ventilation and door lock/unlock function.
Intelligent networking of the MINI is via a SIM card integrated in the vehicle: this now complies with the mobile communications standard 4G. It also enables the use of MINI Teleservices and the Intelligent Emergency Call with automatic detection of vehicle location and accident severity.
Services now available in the new MINI 3 door, the new MINI 5 door and the new MINI Convertible for the first time also include MINI Find Mate. This consists of so-called tags with a wireless tracking function that can be attached to frequently used objects and travel items such as bags, cases, key rings and rucksacks. Their position can not only be displayed on the on-board computer but also in the MINI Connected App on a smartphone. In this way, MINI Find Mate helps prevent personal items getting lost or left behind.