PressClub Middle East · Article.
Statements Paris Motor Show 2018
Tue Oct 02 09:05:00 CEST 2018 Speech
Statements by Harald Krüger, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Pieter Nota, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Sales and Brand BMW, Aftersales BMW Group, and Klaus Fröhlich, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Development, at the BMW Group Press Conference, Paris Motor Show 2018
send an e-mail
Harald Krüger, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG
Bonjours à toutes et tous!
Our passion is premium mobility. And, we chart our own course. We are setting the pace in electro-mobility:
The BMW Group is clearly Number ONE in Europe in electrified vehicle sales.
By the end of September, we already sold more than 100,000 electrified vehicles worldwide. Last year, we celebrated this figure in December, as you may remember. In total, we already have over 300,000 electric vehicles and plug-in-hybrids on the road. The story continues:
Once more, we’ve increased the battery capacity and range for the BMW i3.
Other exciting, new battery-electric vehicles are on the way:
- 2019: the MINI Electric,
- 2020: the BMW iX3,
- 2021: the BMW iNEXT.
And it is my pleasure to announce that the BMW i4 will also be arriving in 2021.
That means, in 2021 we will have five, fully-electric core models. This underlines our strong commitment to future mobility.
And now: please enjoy our latest series models!
Pieter Nota, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Sales and Brand BMW, Aftersales BMW Group
Bonjour! The new BMW Z4 Roadster fits perfectly here in Paris – the city that lives and breathes fashion and design. It showcases BMW’s new design language from all perspectives: from the dynamic looking front – to the striking flanks – to the clean tail end.
The BMW Z4 M40i not only cuts a great figure, it is also a true, lean sports car. And it’s the only one in its class to offer a straight six engine.
I can tell you, I really loved testing it – a pure, open-air, raw, driving experience – “sheer driving pleasure”. This is what BMW is all about.
Our next car is also one that feels at home cruising on the Champs-Élysées, or on the racetrack at Le Mans.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
The all-new BMW 8 Series Coupé! It’s a real beauty!
The 8 not only begins a new chapter in our history of making sensational sports cars, it also signifies the start of our expansion in the upper luxury segment. With this car, we did something we’ve never done before. We built it for the racetrack and then put it on the road. You might have seen it in action in Le Mans: It’s quick, with incredibly precise handling. Our customers will enjoy every second behind the wheel!
This combination of racetrack performance with genuine luxury delivers an unbeatable experience. The 8 also heralds the new design language that will influence BMW’s entire line-up: Very modern, very clean!
As our new flagship luxury Coupé, the craftsmanship and fine details in this car are second-to-none. Our 8 Series customers expect the very best and have clear individual tastes: That’s why BMW Individual will be available from the start when the car is launched in November.
It also has our most advanced digital user interface. Our customers will experience a new level of personalization – similar to that of the latest smart phones.
The Coupé will be followed by the Convertible and Gran Coupé in 2019, and there’s great news for M fans – all of these will be offered as M models!
You see, currently we are in the middle of the company's biggest product expansion. And 2018 is also the year of X. After launching the BMW X2 and X4, we recently revealed the new BMW X5 and it’s better than ever!
The “Boss” as we call it, has always been the clear leader in its segment. This fourth generation – with brand new innovations such as the xOffroad package – will continue to set the benchmark in: Driving comfort, luxury and efficiency.
Efficiency is one of our top priorities. So of course, we will launch the X5 as a plug-in hybrid in 2019. It combines the power and elegance of our straight six engine with the latest BMW eDrive technology – and you can drive up to 80 km in pure electric mode. That’s benchmark.
Our next model also embodies all of this and is at the very heart of our brand.
Klaus Fröhlich, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Development
Bonjour Mesdames et Messieurs,
The new BMW 3 Series! The ultimate sports sedan.
The 3 Series established and led the segment of sport sedans – and will continue to do so now in its seventh generation. Over the past 40 years, we have delivered more than 15 million 3 Series cars. This makes it the most successful model of the BMW brand and the world’s best-selling premium vehicle. It represents the BMW brand like no other car and is truly the heart and soul of BMW.
All our cars contain the sporty and dynamic genes of the 3. This extraordinary car is the pioneer of its segment. And for the new generation, I promise you:
It is better than ever before: Even more athletic, present, and innovative. I’ve tested it in a few fast laps on the Nürburgring. And it is really fantastic. We will prove that the new 3 Series remains the sportiest sedan in its segment.
To achieve this, we have combined our top technologies:
- Best-in-class aerodynamics with a drag coefficient of 0.23;
- A significant weight reduction of 55 kg compared to its predecessor;
- And most importantly, new powertrains with less consumption and better driving performance.
To sum it up, maximum driving pleasure with maximum efficiency.
This model also represents our new design: pure lines and sculpted surfaces. The interior has been completely revised: contemporary and trendsetting, but with BMW’s trademark driver orientation. This also describes the range of innovations in the new 3 Series.
For example, our brand-new Intelligent Personal Assistant. It brings our digital world into the car as your personal companion. It connects you and makes your life easier, including the latest driver assistance systems.
One highlight: the new BMW Digital Key, which allows customers to unlock the vehicle and start the engine using a smartphone.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
We are very proud of this new car. And I would like to thank everyone who worked on it, to make it the best ever.
CO2 EMISSIONS & CONSUMPTION.
- BMW i3 (120 Ah, 42.2 kWh): CO2 emissions in g/km (combined): 0 / Power consumption in kWh/100 km (combined): 13.1
- BMW i3s (120 Ah, 42.2 kWh): CO2 emissions in g/km (combined): 0 / Power consumption in kWh/100 km (combined): 14.6 – 14.0
- BMW 3 Series: Fuel consumption in l/100 km (combined): 6.1 – 4.1 / CO2 emissions in g/km (combined): 139 – 108*
- BMW Z4: Fuel consumption in l/100 km (combined): 7.4 – 6.0 / CO2 emissions in g/km (combined): 168 – 137
- BMW Z4 M40i: Fuel consumption in l/100 km (combined): 7.4 – 7.1 / CO2 emissions in g/km (combined): 168 – 162
- BMW M850i xDrive Coupé: Fuel consumption in l/100 km (combined): 10.5 – 10.0 / CO2 emissions in g/km (combined): 240 – 228
- BMW 840d xDrive: Fuel consumption in l/100 km (combined): 6.2 – 6.1 / CO2 emissions in g/km (combined): 164 – 160
- BMW X2: Fuel consumption in l/100 km (combined): 6.0 – 4.4 / CO2 emissions in g/km (combined): 136 – 115
- BMW X4: Fuel consumption in l/100 km (combined): 9.1 – 5.4 / CO2 emissions in g/km (combined): 206 – 142
- BMW X5: Fuel consumption in l/100 km (combined): 11.6 – 6.0 / CO2 emissions in g/km (combined): 264 – 158
- BMW X5 xDrive45e iPerformance: Fuel consumption in l/100 km (combined): 2.1* / CO2 emissions in g/km (combined): 49* / Power consumption in kWh/100 km (combined): 23.0*
* The figures for fuel consumption, CO2 emissions and power consumption marked with * are preliminary.