PressClub Canada · Article.
The new 2020 BMW X1 xDrive 28i Sports Activity Vehicle
30.05.2019 Press Release
• Update to BMW’s popular compact Sports Activity Vehicle. • New exterior styling, colors and infotainment. • New interior design and materials for improved comfort and quality. • Global production to begin July 2019. Arrival in Canada expected late 2019. • Pricing to be announced closer to on-sale date.
send an e-mail
Richmond Hill, ON. BMW is please to announce the updated 2020 BMW X1 xDrive 28i Sports Activity Vehicle. Since its introduction in 2015, the X1 has gone on to be BMW’s best-selling X vehicle worldwide. In Canada., the X1 is the third most popular X model, behind the X3 and X5.
The new and updated 2nd Generation BMW X1 xDrive 28i offers one of the roomiest cabins in its class combined with the technology, performance, comfort and agility that make up the heart of all the models in BMW’s Sports Activity Vehicle line.
New exterior features
The latest version of the BMW X1 SAV receives more modern, updated exterior styling to reflect the new design details found in its newer, larger siblings, such as he X5 and X7. New LED headlights with hexagonal iconography are complemented by new LED fog lights. The BMW kidney grills feature a new, sculptured design with larger openings for improved airflow. Changes to the front and rear bumper design are highlighted by sharper lines and larger openings with integrated LED fog lights and give the 2020 BMW X1 xDrive 28i its new, more modern look.
Towards the rear of the vehicle, new tinted LED taillights with L-shaped light bars extenuate the wider appearance of the exterior. The tailpipes have grown by 20mm, now 90mm in diameter.
The M Sport line features a new, redesigned and more aggressive aerodynamics package which includes new front bumper, side skirts, wheel arch trim, and rear diffuser in body color.
New interior features
When opening the front doors, the driver and passengers are greeted by a new two-tone LED “X1” welcome projection. Inside the cabin, one is greeting by the standard 22.4 cm (8.8 inch) central control display screen with iDrive 6, Navigation and Apple CarPlay Compatibility.
The instrument panel and floor mats features new, decorative contrast stitching while choosing the optional Dakota leather interior adds color-matched lower dashboard and door handles surfaces.
A new electronic gear selector switch connects to an updated version of the Steptronic 8-speed automatic transmission.
Three new metallic colors have been added to the options list: Storm Bay metallic, Jucaro Beige and Misano Blue metallic. Estoril Blue has been removed.
Standard, non-metallic carryover colors include Alpine White and Jet Black. Carryover optional metallic paints include Black Sapphire Metallic, Glacier Silver Metallic, Mineral White Metallic, Mineral Grey Metallic, 3 Sparkling Brown Metallic, Dark Olive Metallic, Mediterranean Blue Metallic and Sunset Orange Metallic.
Power and performance
The 2020 BMW X1xDrive 28i is powered by the 2.0L 4-cylinder turbocharged engine (SULEV rated) from BMW’s family of modular engines. Power output is 228 hp @ 5,000 – 6,000 rpm and 258 lb-ft of torque @ 1,450 - 4,500 rpm. Full torque is available in the low and mid-range, where the majority of daily driving takes place, allowing for quick and immediate acceleration when needed. Acceleration from 0 – 100 km/h is accomplished in 6.5 seconds.
The 8-speed Steptronic automatic transmission in the 2020 BMW X1 features revised gear ratios for improved performance and offers fast and almost imperceptible shifts, improving comfort for the driver and passengers.
The BMW xDrive system works with the standard DSC Dynamic Stability Control system to transfer power to the rear wheels when it is needed, such as to reduce understeer in turns, improve traction when going uphill, on slippery surfaces and during more spirited driving.
Wheels and Tires
New design 18 inch Y-spoke bi-color and black wheels replace the previous Y-spoke wheel design. A new 19 inch Y-spoke bi-colour wheel replaces an outgoing 19 inch Y-spoke wheel design.
Standard equipment on the 2020 BMW X1 includes 18 inch Y-Spoke bi-color wheels with 225/50R18 all-season run-flat tires. 19 inch Y-Spoke wheels with 225/45R19 performance run-flat tires are a stand alone option.
18 inch M Double-spoke bi-color wheels with either all-season run flat or non-run-flat tires are standard when selecting M Sport Package. Additionally, M Sport vehicles can be upgraded with 19 inch M Double-spoke bi-color wheels with 225/45R19 performance run-flat tires.
Standard and optional equipment
Standard equipment includes:
· 18 inch wheels with 225/50R18 all-season run-flat tires
· 8-speed Steptronic automatic transmission
· Rear view camera
· Park Distance Control
· SensaTec interior upholstery
· Sport leather steering wheel
· Power Front Seats
· Heated Front Seats
· Driving Assistant including Lane Departure Warning, Frontal Collision Warning with brake intervention, Speed Limit information and High Beam assistant.
· ConnectedDrive Services
· iDrive 6 with 22.4 cm (8.8 inch screen) and Navigation
· Apple Car-Play Compatibility
· Automatic Climate Control
· On-board Naviagation
· LED Headlights
Selected stand-alone options include:
· Metallic Paint
· Dakota Leather upholstery
· Sport seats
· Sliding and Reclining rear seat adjustment
· LED Headlights with Cornering Function
· Parking Assistant
· Harman-Kardon Premium Sound System
· Wireless Charging
· Heated Steering Wheel
· Panorama Sunroof
· Head-up Display
· Automatic Trunk
· Driving Assistant Plus (includes Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go).
Optional Packages include:
· Premium Essential Package – LED Headlights with Cornering Function, Heated Steering Wheel, Power folding side mirrors, Comfort Access, satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Panorama Sunroof, Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, Sport Seats, Lumbar Support, Lights package, Park Assistant, Head-up Display, Hifi Sound System, On-board Navigation Professional, Connected Services Professional.
· M Sport Package – choice of 18” wheels with run-flat all-season tires or 19” wheels with performance run-flat tires. Sport Automatic transmission, new M Sport exterior styling, Shadowline exterior trim, high-gloss black roof rails, Sport seats, choice of Brushed Aluminum Trim with Pearl Chrome Accent or High-Gloss Black Trim with Pearl Chrome Accent, M Leather Steering wheel, M sport suspension and M sport steering.