PressClub Canada · Article.
The New 2020 MINI John Cooper Works GP.
20.11.2019 Press Release
send an e-mail
Richmond Hill, ON. MINI Canada is pleased to introduce the new 2020 MINI John Cooper Works GP, a new limited-edition ultra-performance member of the MINI lineup that sets new benchmarks for performance in the premium small car segment and holds the distinction of being the fastest model of the British brand that has ever been approved for road use.
A 301 hp 4-cylinder turbocharged engine accelerates the two-seater MINI JCW GP – based on the MINI 3 door – from zero to 100 km/h in just 5.2 seconds. The new GP will be presented to the public for the first time at the Los Angeles Auto Show (22 November to 1 December 2019) and subsequently produced in a limited edition of 3,000 units at the MINI plant in Oxford.
Delivery of 59 MINI JCW GP models earmarked for Canadian racing enthusiasts will commence in the 2nd quarter of 2020, and will debut with an MSRP of $51,990.
The New MINI John Cooper Works GP performance highlights:
- 2.0-litre 4-cylinder engine with reinforced crankshaft with enlarged main bearing diameter, specific pistons, bushless connecting rods and a new torsional vibration damper.
- Newly developed MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology, fully variable valve control, double VANOS camshaft control and direct injection (up to 350 bar)
- Output of 301 hp from 5,000 – 6,250 rpm (75 hp more output than the MINI John Cooper Works) and maximum torque of 331 ft-lb from 1,750 – 4,500 rpm.
- Acceleration from zero to 100 km/h in 5.2 seconds, top speed: 265 km/h.
- Racing-spec oil supply, high-capacity oil sump and optimized cooling system with twin external coolant heat exchangers and a separate transmission cooling circuit.
High-performance sports exhaust system.
- 8-speed Steptronic sports transmission with electronic gear shifter, steering wheel shift paddles and integrated Torsen limited-slip differential.
- Specially tuned chassis set-up with track width increased and suspension lowered by 10 mm compared to the MINI John Cooper Works model.
- Dynamic Stability Control system with GP mode (specific GP instrument display when activated.)
- High-performance sports brake system with 360 × 30 mm ventilated front discs.
- 18-inch lightweight forged wheels with 225/35 R18 Hankook performance tires.
- Exclusive GP front and rear aprons.
- Roof spoiler with double-wing contour.
- Large flared carbon wheel arch covers.
Racing-inspired, functional cockpit with two leather JCW Sport Seats and reduced acoustic insulation.
Complementing the New MINI John Cooper Works GP’s motorsport pedigree is a full range of comfort, convenience and infotainment/communication features, including:
- Automatic Climate Control
- Connected Navigation Plus with 8.8-inch colour screen, telephony and wireless charging.
- ConnectedDrive and Remote Services
- Apple CarPlay Preparation
- Advanced Real Time Traffic Information (ARTTI)
- Heated Front Seats
- Anthracite Roof Liner
- Alarm System
- Dynamic Cruise Control
- LED Headlights with cornering function
- Full digital instrument display
Rain sensor with Automatic Headlights
With this extensive range of equipment - no additional options are offered or available.
Dynamic Exterior Design
All MINI Cooper JCW GPs are finished in exclusive Racing Grey Metallic with roof and exterior mirror caps finished in the contrasting Melting Silver metallic.
Form meets function with the MINI JCW GP. The dramatic coachwork has been designed to optimize the GP’s aerodynamic balance and provide the ducting necessary to supply increased airflow to the driveline cooling units and brakes. The large roof spoiler with double wing, the large front apron and spoiler lip generate maximum downforce and significantly reduce lift at high road speeds.
The wide wheel arch panels are constructed of lightweight carbon-reinforced plastic (CFRP). The new MINI JCW GP is the BMW Group's first production vehicle to feature an exposed matt CFRP coating. The individual numbering with the numbers “0001” to “3000” is applied to the surfaces of the front wheel arch panels by means of a newly developed paint transfer process.
The 2020 MINI John Cooper Works GP forms part of a fascinating tradition that is closely linked to the name of the legendary Formula 1 designer John Cooper ever since the debut of the classic Mini 60 years ago. On both road and racetrack, this combination has been a constant source of sporting highlights: from the first Mini Cooper and winning the British Touring Car Championship to the three overall victories in the Monte Carlo Rally, the MINI Challenge racing series, achievements in the Dakar Rally and the latest generation of the John Cooper Works models.